This weekend, CBLDF is heading to SPX 2013, America’s premiere literary and arts comics festival. The festival, which is held in part to benefit the CBLDF, kicks off on Saturday morning and runs a stellar exhibit hall and programming schedule through Sunday. Gene Luen Yang will premiere his new two-volume set Boxers & Saints at the con, with exclusive signings at the CBLDF’s table. Acclaimed New Yorker cartoonist Liza Donnelly will also be appearing to sign her most recent books. On top of the signings, CBLDF will also host our annual SPX auction, and we’ll also have a massive booth display with incredible new premiums, including signed copies of the brand new Strangers in Paradise softcover omnibus from Terry Moore; signed prints from creators such as Jack Davis, Eddie Campbell and Dave Sim, Joost Swarte, and Jaime Hernandez; plus signed graphic novels from creators such as Art Spiegelman, Craig Thompson, Daniel Clowes, James Stokoe, Paul Pope, Brandon Graham, and many more!
Gene Yang, the creator behind the award-winning American Born Chinese, is returning to the graphic novel field with a two volume set, Boxers & Saints, from First Second Books. Set in China in 1900, it tells the story of the Boxer rebellion and how the teenagers of the day used their “superheroes” from Chinese opera as inspirations to fight against foreign invaders.
Gene will sign at the CBLDF table at the following times:
Saturday: 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
Sunday: 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
Liza Donnelly, a long time cartoonist for The New Yorker, is also the author/editor of more than 20 books, seven of which are children’s books published for Scholastic Inc. She is a Cultural Envoy for the U.S. State Department, a member of the collective Cartooning for Peace, one of the founding members of the U.S. branch of the Federation of Cartoonists Organizations (FECO), and has spoken at such esteemed forums as TED, as well as the United Nations. Her upcoming book is titled Women on Men, will be published by Narrative Magazine this Fall.
Liza will sign at the CBLDF table at the following times:
Saturday: 2:30 – 4:00 p.m.
Sunday: 4:00 – 5:30 p.m.
On Saturday afternoon, CBLDF will host our annual SPX auction at 7:15 p.m. in the main lobby outside the show. This year’s auction boasts a range of rare and stellar items from across the history of alternative comics, including recently unearthed vintage portfolios by John Pound, Alfredo Alcala, Richard Corben, Wendy Pini, and more; rare signed promotional pieces from Charles Burns and Art Spiegelman; and a sheaf of original art from talents including Jeffrey Brown and Tim Seeley, Sam Henderson, Alec Longstreth, Tyler Crook, Nick Bertozzi, and more. Check out the full preview below!
1. Art Spiegelman, “In The Shadow of No Towers” signed with sketch
2. Fantastic Females portfolio, signed by Richard Corben
3. Nightmares portfolio, signed by Tim Conrad
4. Untitled portfolio, signed by Tim Conrad
5. Elfquest portfolio, signed by Wendy Pini
6. Beyond Heaven & Hell portfolio, signed by John Pound
7. Men, Maidens, & Myths portfolio, signed by Nestor Redondo
8. Dark Suns of Grugga portfolio, signed by Alex Nino
9. Voltar portfolio, signed by Alfredo Alcala
10. Midnight Gods portfolio, signed by John Pound
11. Power & Glory portfolio, signed by John Pound
12. “You’ve Changed” strip original art by Jeffrey Brown & Tim Seeley
13. Magic Whistle cartoon original art by Sam Henderson
14. Untitled original art by Travis Louie
15. Untitled original art by Jen Tong
16. Triumphant Dragon original art by Alec Longstreth
17. Untitled original art by Miss Lasko Gross
18. Untitled original art by Nikki Cook
19. Untitled original art by Molly Crabapple
20. Untitled original art by Eric Shanower
21. BPRD: Devil’s Engine #2, p. 17 original art by Tyler Crook
22. Untitled original art by David Mack
23. Incredible Drinking Buddies, 6 page story original art by Nick Bertozzi
24. Sam Keith, “Gang’s All Here” signed & numbered print
25. Danny Hellman, signed & numbered print
26. Vasilis Lolos, Signed Print
27. Charles Burns Big Baby signed poster
28. Michael Dooney, TMNT print set, signed
29. The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion print by Paul Pope, signed
See you this weekend at SPX 2013, September 14 and 15 at the Bethesda North Marriott Hotel and Conference Center (5701 Marinelli Road, North Bethesda, MD 20852). CBLDF is locatd at booth W88-91. Visit the SPX website for more details!