Meet fellow educators, librarians, and graphic novel readers for our first League Meet & Greet via Zoom on Thursday, May 14 @ 4:30 PDT. Let’s get to know one another, talk graphically (about graphic novels), and have some fun!
Want to join in?
You must be a League member to receive the registration link but joining is FREE! We’ll send you your private invitation to join our Meet & Greet and other events such as our upcoming:
League Book Club discussion: Ms. Marvel: No Normal (via Zoom)
Thursday, May 21@ 4:30 PDT
Our first League read is Ms. Marvel: No Normal, by G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona. Join our book discussion to share your thoughts and talk about ways to use this book with students.
- About the book: The intriguing, and at the time of its publication in 2014, ground-breaking story of Kamala Khan, a Pakistani-American teen from Jersey City who is suddenly empowered with extraordinary gifts. Can she be the new Ms. Marvel? Depicting an authentic struggle about identity and powers, this book is accessible, earnest, and a great read for themes of cultural identity, social messaging, and what it means to do the “right” thing. This book is recommended for ages 14+
- Check out the CBLDF graphic novel guide HERE
- All League members will be emailed a ready-to-use PDF teaching guide and League-only author resource at the end of the month!
Looking to get a copy of the book?
- Buy from your local comic shop — our partner retailers are listed HERE
- Support independent bookstores by purchasing through BookShop.org
- Snag a free digital edition now as a Comixology or Kindle Unlimited subscriber
Members of the League of Graphic Novel Educators also receive:
- Graphic novel teaching guides for classroom-appropriate graphic novels.
- Invites to League Book Club meetings: live, hosted talks about how to use the book with students.
- Educator webinars exploring literacy, social justice, book selection, diverse readers, and more.
- Exclusive access to classroom shareables from graphic novel artists and authors.
- Private, online community forum for sharing ideas and resources.
- Articles, resources, and recommendations throughout the year for common themes, topics, and trends.
All items are standards-based and ready to go!