Iranian artist and activist Atena Farghadani has now been in prison for over a year, currently awaiting an appeal of her nearly 13-year sentence for drawing a cartoon that showed members of Parliament as animals. Recently, New Zealand cartoonist Toby Morris produced “Atena and the Animals,” a webcomic that lays out the whole saga of Farghadani’s arrest and her incredible courage in the face of repression. Morris has graciously given us permission to re-run “Atena and the Animals,” which originally appeared here at The Wireless. Enjoy!
Previous coverage of Atena Farghadani
- Iranian Cartoonist Faces Prison, Floggings for Mocking Birth Control Bill
- Cartoonist Sentenced to 12 Years in Prison for Mocking Birth Control Bill
- Cartoonists #Draw4Atena
- Atena Farghadani’s Lawyer Also Under Arrest in Iran
- Iranian-born Actress Ratchets Up International Pressure to Free Atena Farghadani
- Farghadani to Receive CRNI Courage in Cartooning Award
- Fellow Cartoonists Honor Atena Farghadani at CRNI Courage Award Ceremony
- Vandalized Mural of Cartoonist Atena Farghadani Ignites Debate
- Farghadani Subjected to Virginity Test in Investigation of “Illegitimate Relations”
- Farghadani Acquitted on “Illegitimate Relations” Charge
We need your help to keep fighting for the right to read! Help support CBLDF’s important First Amendment work by visiting the Rewards Zone, making a donation, or becoming a member of CBLDF!
Toby Morris is an Auckland based illustrator and comic artist. He is the creator of the Pencilsword and also half of the Toby and Toby duo behind the series ‘That is the question’ at radionz.co.nz