CBLDF supports free expression and quality reading experiences with the following resources to help educators, librarians, and parents share the benefits of graphic novels with young people:
- The benefits of comic arts as a form of storytelling: Raising a Reader and Panel Power
- Graphic novel Discussion Guides and Educator Guides
- Handbooks for Comic Book and Manga Bookclubs
- Tools to defend books that may be challenged: Banned Book Handbook, Adding Books to a Library
CBLDF Discussion Guide: Superman Smashes the Klan
Download the Discussion Guide HERE.
This week, we celebrate the launch of Gene Luen Yang’s most recent graphic novel, Superman Smashes the Klan, with a free, printable Discussion Guide. Adding to Yang’s growing list of powerful young adult graphic novels, this new book blends the positive powers of Superman with a story of conflict inspired by an actual radio broadcast from 1946. In the book, Tommy and Roberta, along with their parents, Dr. and Mrs. Less, encounter a range of challenges after they relocate from the Chinatown neighborhood of Metropolis: Dr. Less’ new co-worker challenges his qualifications, Mrs. Lee struggles with a language barrier, and the kids feel simultaneously sensationalized and ostracized by some of their neighborhood peers. When the Klan zeroes in on the Lee family by burning a cross in their yard, the Lees find support from a sympathetic police inspector, as well as Clark Kent and Lois Lane. But when the Klan escalates their campaign by kidnapping Tommy, Superman knows it’s time to use his powers for the same reasons as always: to fight for what’s right and protect those who need him.
Find your own copy of the book:
- Buy from your local comic shop — our partner retailers are listed HERE
- Support independent bookstores by purchasing through BookShop.org
- Snag a digital edition via Comixology or Kindle
Want more graphic novel teaching resources? Join the League of Graphic Novel Educators! It’s FREE and includes exclusive goodies and invites to education-oriented events.
Help support CBLDF’s important work by sharing this article. You can also donate to support our efforts by visiting the Rewards Zone, making a donation, or becoming a member of CBLDF!