Part-Time, Located in Portland, OR office
The Education Coordinator steers the development and implementation of all Comic Book Legal Defense Fund’s educational resources and programs. This position reports to the Executive Director and supervises volunteers and contractors in planning and executing teacher – and library – facing resources and programs, including online and print publications, webinars, exhibits, and presentations. In addition, the Education Coordinator assists in supporting the defense of book bans and challenges by interacting with affected parties and partners including the Kids’ Right to Read Project, Freedom to Read Foundation, Banned Books Week Coalition, and American Library Association.
- Conceptualize and execute all educator and librarian curricula online, in print, and at events, including regular website posts, monthly webinars, convention and conference panels, resources for education holidays such as Banned Books Week and Constitution Day.
- Coordinate online content for educators and librarians, which entails writing, editing, and coordinating with freelance and volunteer writers to produce regular posts, publications, and other presentations.
- Coordinate educator and librarian facing training and education curricula, including staffing and moderating webinars, developing and moderating panels and discussions, developing supplemental materials, and posting resources and webinars to various online channels.
- Coordinate exhibits, presentations, and panels at conferences and conventions.
- Support position activities with social media posts.
- Assist in managing challenges, including intake of information related to censorship activities, research and outreach for defending content, and coordination with outside partner organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Library Science or a related field OR 5+ years experience as an educator or librarian.
- Extensive knowledge of the pedagogical value of comics & graphic novels.
- Working knowledge of First Amendment rights.
- Strong electronic, interpersonal, and public communication skills.
- Familiarity with WordPress and social media platforms.
- Ability to work nights and/or weekends as required.
- Ability to travel as required.
- Familiarity with Zoom webinar platform or experience with similar webinar program.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Design Suite.
- Grant writing experience.
Please email a brief cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Educational Coordinator” in the subject line.
Comic Book Legal Defense Fund is a non-profit organization protecting the freedom to read comics! Our work protects readers, creators, librarians, retailers, publishers, and educators who face the threat of censorship. We monitor legislation and challenge laws that would limit the First Amendment. We create resources that promote understanding of comics and the rights our community is guaranteed. Every day we publish news and information about censorship events as they happen. We are partners in the Kids’ Right to Read Project and Banned Books Week. Our expert legal team is available at a moment’s notice to respond to First Amendment emergencies. CBLDF is a lean organization that works hard to protect the rights that our community depends on. Please support our important work! www.cbldf.org
Interested in fighting for free expression remotely? Share you voice with CBLDF and become an Education Contributor! Learn more at https://cbldf.org/education-submission/