Interested in introducing more Graphic Novels into your curriculum and libraries? Excited to join a wider network of educators, librarians, and graphic novel readers using comics as an education tool? Next week is the inaugural meeting of the League of Graphic Novel Educators Book Club! Now is the perfect time to join the league as activities are getting started. The Book Club will be next Thursday, May 21st @ 4:30 PDT via Zoom. The League will be discussing Ms. Marvel: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona. You must be a member of the League to attend!
SIGN UP NOW!
- About the book: The intriguing, and at the time of its publication in 2014, ground-breaking story of Kamala Khan, a Pakistani-American teen from Jersey City who is suddenly empowered with extraordinary gifts. Can she be the new Ms. Marvel? Depicting an authentic struggle about identity and powers, this book is accessible, earnest, and a great read for themes of cultural identity, social messaging, and what it means to do the “right” thing. This book is recommended for ages 14+
- Check out the CBLDF graphic novel guide HERE
- All League members will be emailed a ready-to-use PDF teaching guide and League-only author resource at the end of the month!
The Book Club is just one of the many features of the League of Graphic Novel Educators. As a member you get access to exclusive teaching materials and a supportive community of librarians, parents, and educators of all kinds joining together to raise readers through graphic novel literacy. You will gain in-depth confidence with graphic novels as well as receive ready-to-use teaching materials to save you time.
Members of the League of Graphic Novel Educators receive:
- Graphic novel teaching guides for classroom-appropriate graphic novels.
- Invites to League Book Club meetings: live, hosted talks about how to use the book with students.
- Educator webinars exploring literacy, social justice, book selection, diverse readers, and more.
- Exclusive access to classroom shareables from graphic novel artists and authors.
- Private, online community forum for sharing ideas and resources.
- Articles, resources, and recommendations throughout the year for common themes, topics, and trends.
All items are standards-based and ready to go!
SIGN UP NOW and help spread the word: the League of Graphic Novel Educators wants YOU!
Help support CBLDF’s important work by sharing this article. You can also donate to support our efforts by visiting the Rewards Zone, making a donation, or becoming a member of CBLDF!